Monday, January 22, 2007

Bad Connections



It's always great to see one of your details being implemented. Back in late august I designed a retrofit detail for some poorly constructed houses built by another NGO. It was really built by an Indonesian contractor paid by this NGO and the NGO is doing the right thing by fixing it. Today I was able to see my design in effect. These houses had very poor connections, rebars didn't lap, and sometimes the bars of the beams didn't even meet the columns. So I had them chip away the concrete at the corners and place bent bars so it'd bridge the gap, in fact I've already written about this detail in this post (click here).


Where the joint is located, one of many houses.

It doesn't get any better than that!


The prep. work for retrofiting the poorly built masonry. Will use a fiber reinforced shotcrete. That's big time stuff for Banda Aceh!

No comments: