Saturday, August 19, 2006

1200 year old Buddhist Temple

Yogyakarta, Java, Indonesia


1200 year old Buddhist Temple

I was jolted awake early this morning by an earthquake. It ran through the building shifting me to the left then back to the right, and then one last jolt before it stopped. I'm in Yogyakarta on the island of Java. Two days ago, I flew the four hour trip down from the northern tip of Sumatra passing the equator to central Java. I'm here to evaluate earthquake damage from the May 2006 Earthquake that killed thousands and left almost a hundred thousand homeless.

While I was here I had to see Borobudur, a 1200 year old Buddhist temple, like Angkor Wat in Cambodia and Bagan in Myammar (Burma), this is one of the three archeological gems of Southeast Asia. Though after seeing the other two, it didn't impress me as much. None-the-less it was still beautiful.

No comments: